Saturday, June 1, 2019

Sovereignty and the Monotheism of God

"See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god beside Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of My hand" (Deuteronomy 32:39).

The Bible is a thoroughly monotheistic book. This verse is just one of many such explicit statements by God that He alone is God. An even more-explicit example is Isaiah 43:10: "'You are My witnesses, declares the LORD, 'and My servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after Me.'"

The reason that I chose to emphasize the verse from Deuteronomy is that it doesn't merely assert monotheism, but also establishes one of the implications of the truth: "There is none that can deliver out of My hand." God not only declares Himself of singular status, but then warns men that, therefore, there is no opposing force that can rescue us from His judgment. He was addressing pagan deities then, but His declaration applies equally to the deities of our own age, such as science or "progress." Yet, we see even explicit pagan blasphemy, as in the picture above. Yet, God's hand of judgment cannot be restrained by any power outside Himself. That woman, appealing even to Satan, will be judged together with Satan, unless she repent.

No comments: