Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Connection Between Abortionism and Anti-Paedobaptism

The Bible says a lot of things about babies, both before and after birth. For example, they are creations of God (Psalm 139:13), and they are sinners (Psalm 51:5, Psalm 58:3), but they can also be regenerate (Luke 1:15). For the children of believers, we have the additional awareness that our children belong to God, not ourselves (Ezekiel 16:20, I Corinthians 7:14). Our children are very important to God.

Yet, in the face of these biblical truths, we have two egregious offenses against children in today's American society: the refusal to baptize the children of believers and the genocide of unborn children called euphemistically "abortion." (By mentioning them together, I do not mean to imply that they are at all morally equivalent.)

Both arise from an attitude of dismissal toward children as a gift from God (Psalm 127:3). Both as a church and as a society, we despise these gifts from God, and fail in our responsibility for them.


2 comments:

youngreformed said...

I never thought about it this way
I was baptized as a baby because they thought I was at risk of death. When I have children I’m going to get them baptized. I’ll do it first (to save them) then I’ll have the minister (unless I’m one) to do it for the rite of initiation into the visible catholic church

Joel Conley said...

I don’t understand your logic in your statement trying to point out similiarities between people who believe that it is OK to kill a fetus and people who believe that baptism is a symbol of regeneration. It’s a misrepresentation of someone’s beliefs to prove a false point. It would be similiar to a proponent of believers baptism saying that Infant baptism believers and atheists are similar because they both make light of the importance of repentance and God’s offer of salvation. People who believe in believers baptism do so because of their love for what they believe is an accurate hermanutic, not their disregard for children.

Joel Conley