Saturday, August 4, 2018

Evidence and the Claims of the Watchtower

"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it" (John 14:14).

These are the words of Jesus, explicitly telling us that we can pray to Him, expressing our needs and desires, and looking to Him to provide them. There can hardly be a stronger claim to deity and equality with the Father.

Yet, some people will come up with the most-imaginative twists to avoid what Jesus says.

I brought up this verse in a forum with Jehovah's Witnesses. I mentioned it because they teach that prayers can only be made to "Jehovah God." I asked them to explain how they can maintain their claim in the face of these words of Jesus.

The only reply I got claimed that "me" is not in the original text. And, if you look only at the King James Version, you might get that impression. However, I showed him the page in the Kingdom Interlinear Bible (the Watchtower's own production of an interlinear Greek/Hebrew/English version), which shows the "me" in the Greek text. That is, the Watchtower's own edition of the Greek New Testament showed "me" in the text. That person immediately disappeared from the conversation.

So, this is my challenge to Jehovah's Witnesses: if your organization makes claims which are so easily refuted by their own literature, then who do you continue to follow that organization?


No comments: