Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Whole-Bible Mission of God

When asked to cite the Great Commission, most Christians will immediately refer to Matthew 28:19-20. Some will go to Acts 1:8. And there is nothing wrong with either citation. In fact, both are excellent! The New Testament is full of directives to the Church to carry the Gospel to the unbelieving world.

However, what about the other two-thirds of the Bible in the Old Testament? Do we believe that God had no concern about the spiritual welfare of the rest of the world for two-thirds of His inspired interaction with His people? I hope no one thinks that. What an unloving God that would be!

Look at Isaiah 66:19: "I will set a sign among them. And from them I will send survivors to the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, who draw the bow, to Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands far away, that have not heard My fame or seen My glory. And they shall declare My glory among the nations." Is there any New Testament statement of the great Commission which more-clearly indicates the missionary purpose that God has given His people?

What about Isaiah 43:10-12:
"'You are My witnesses, declares the Lord, 
     'and My servant whom I have chosen,
that you may know and believe Me
     and understand that I am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
     nor shall there be any after Me.
I, I am the Lord,
     and besides Me there is no savior.
I declared and saved and proclaimed,
     when there was no strange god among you;
and you are My witnesses,' declares the Lord, 'and I am God.'"


As much as the New Testament, the Old Testament reports the mission of God, His plan for the knowledge of His glory and deity to be spread among all men, not just to Israel, and not just to the Church.

1 comment:

Phil Pockras said...

Psalms 66, 67, 87 all come to mind immediately.