Saturday, November 11, 2017

Either Jesus Is God, or God Has Been Deceived!

In two different places, the Prophet Isaiah tells us that God does not share His glory: "I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other" (Isaiah 42:8); "My glory I will not give to another" (Isaiah 48:11). Both statements are clear, bold, and unequivocal.

However, we then have this statement from Jesus (John 17:5): "Now, Father, glorify Me in Your own presence with the glory that I had with You before the world existed."

In the Old Testament, "God" (Hebrew, "Elohim") without qualification, as here in Isaiah, usually refers to the Trinity collectively. However, if a person denies that, or denies that it is the case here, then he has even greater difficulty in these passages, because they then become the words of God the Father. We have God's claiming that He does not share His glory. Then we have Jesus's claiming that He has shared, and will share, the glory of God the Father.

That can be nothing less that a claim that He is Himself that God who spoke through Isaiah!


No comments: