Friday, April 2, 2010

Proverbs 31:6-7, No Christian Drinks Alcohol, Right?

"Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."

We all know the church activists who work to oppose referenda on selling alcohol. And most of us experience that shiver in the gut when we see Christians with a beer or glass of wine or beer, because we know they aren't supposed to do that.

But that intestinal shiver comes from tradition, not the Bible. In fact, as we see above, we are commanded to offer an alcoholic beverage to him who is suffering emotionally. Evidently, God hasn't read the temperance brochure.

1 comment:

Bob Hayton said...

That was one of the verses I always was puzzled by when I was a fundamentalist Baptist. You may or may not have seen some of my posts on Wine on my blog. I give the Biblical rationale for why I was convicted by the testimony of Scripture to repent over my disgust about alcohol. I've since learned to appreciate beer and wine in moderation.

My posts, if you're interested, are here.

Good blog you have her Chris. I'm checking it out. I'll swing over to the Baptism posts next....